MMA Rankings for February 2010
by Scott Newman(MMA)
Posted on February 21, 2010, 4:37 AM
February was a surprisingly quiet month in terms of overall shows in the world of MMA, but in terms of fights that affected the rankings it was pretty packed. We had two major UFC shows with some big names fighting. Oh, and I’ve been keeping up these rankings now for a year (on the main pages at least, the forum version’s been around for almost two years now)
Heavyweight (206lbs and above): Champion: Fedor Emelianenko - Last fight: W vs. Brett Rogers - 11/07/09
1. Brock Lesnar - Last fight: W vs. Frank Mir - 07/11/09 2. Cain Velasquez - Last fight: W vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - 02/20/10 3. Frank Mir - Last fight: W vs. Cheick Kongo - 12/12/09 4. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Last fight: L vs. Cain Velasquez - 02/20/10 5. Junior dos Santos - Last fight: W vs. Gilbert Yvel - 01/02/10 6. Shane Carwin - Last fight: W vs. Gabriel Gonzaga – 03/07/09 7. Brett Rogers - Last fight: L vs. Fedor Emelianenko – 11/07/09 8. Fabricio Werdum - Last fight: W vs. Antonio Silva Jr – 11/07/09 9. Gabriel Gonzaga - Last fight: W vs. Chris Tuchscherer – 08/29/09 10. Alistair Overeem - Last fight: W vs. Kazuyuki Fujita – 12/31/09
Movements: Cain Velasquez’s stunning win over Rodrigo Nogueira moves him above Minotauro and Frank Mir in the rankings, up to #2. You could basically argue Cain or Mir deserves the spot, but I put Cain in there because he’s also got the win over Ben Rothwell, who’s a top-fifteen guy, in the last two years while Mir has the loss to Lesnar in the same timeframe. Mir will move back up though if he beats Shane Carwin next month. Elsewhere Andrei Arlovski hasn’t fought and won in so long now that I removed him from the rankings, and so Alistair Overeem comes in at #10. I was looking at Ben Rothwell for the spot but really his wins are no better than Overeem’s. March though has Roy Nelson vs. Stefan Struve which, presuming Overeem doesn’t compete, could move someone else into the #10 spot.
Light-Heavyweight (186lbs-205lbs): Champion: Lyoto Machida - Last fight: W vs. Mauricio Rua - 10/24/09
1. Mauricio Rua - Last fight: L vs. Lyoto Machida – 10/24/09 2. Rashad Evans - Last fight: W vs. Thiago Silva - 01/02/10 3. Quinton Jackson - Last fight: W vs. Keith Jardine - 03/07/09 4. Forrest Griffin- Last fight: W vs. Tito Ortiz - 11/21/09 5. Thiago Silva - Last fight: L vs. Rashad Evans - 01/02/10 6. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - Last fight: W vs. Luiz Cane – 11/21/09 7. Gegard Mousasi - Last fight: W vs. Gary Goodridge - 12/31/09 8. Ryan Bader - Last fight: W vs. Keith Jardine – 02/20/10 9. Randy Couture – Last fight: W vs. Mark Coleman – 02/06/10 10. Brandon Vera - Last fight: L vs. Randy Couture – 11/14/09
Movements: Some major changes at the bottom of the rankings this month. Firstly, Rich Franklin was removed because he’s got no fights on the horizon, his last two were technically at 195lbs, and the win keeping him afloat at LHW was over a guy who has now officially moved to MW (Wanderlei Silva). Keith Jardine was removed as he’s now lost three fights in a row, and Luiz Cane’s biggest win was over Sokoudjou, who lost to Minowaman of all people. I brought in Bader due to his win over Jardine, Couture due to his wins over Vera and Coleman, and then Vera at #10 as I felt he beat Couture and he does have a solid win over Kryzstof Soszynski. If he loses to Jon Jones then Jones steals his spot, and of course if he beats Jones then he justifies the ranking.
Middleweight (171lbs-185lbs): Champion: Anderson Silva - Last fight: W vs. Forrest Griffin - 08/29/09
1. Dan Henderson - Last fight: W vs. Michael Bisping – 07/11/09 2. Chael Sonnen - Last fight: W vs. Nathan Marquardt – 02/06/10 3. Nathan Marquardt - Last fight: L vs. Chael Sonnen - 02/06/10 4. Demian Maia - Last fight: W vs. Dan Miller - 02/06/10 5. Vitor Belfort - Last fight: W vs. Rich Franklin – 09/19/09 6. Jake Shields - Last fight: W vs. Jason Miller – 11/07/09 7. Yushin Okami - Last fight: L vs. Chael Sonnen - 10/24/09 8. Ronaldo Jacare - Last fight: W vs. Matt Lindland – 12/19/09 9. Robbie Lawler – Last fight: W vs. Melvin Manhoef – 01/30/10 10. Wanderlei Silva - Last fight: W vs. Michael Bisping – 02/20/10
Movements: Interesting movements at the top of MW. Chael Sonnen beat #1 Nate Marquardt at UFC 109, but due to his loss a year ago to Demian Maia, I’ve put Dan Henderson into the #1 spot and given Sonnen #2. Maia moves above Vitor Belfort due to his win over Dan Miller and also the fact that he has a win over Sonnen. Yoshihiro Akiyama drops from the rankings due to inactivity and Wanderlei Silva makes his debut there with his win over Michael Bisping. Next month sees Yushin Okami in action in a must-win fight.
Welterweight (156lbs-170lbs): Champion: Georges St-Pierre - Last fight: W vs. Thiago Alves - 07/11/09
1. Jon Fitch - Last fight: W vs. Mike Pierce - 12/12/09 2. Thiago Alves - Last fight: L vs. Georges St-Pierre - 07/11/09 3. Paulo Thiago - Last fight: W vs. Mike Swick – 02/06/10 4. Josh Koscheck - Last fight: W vs. Anthony Johnson - 11/21/09 5. Dan Hardy - Last fight: W vs. Mike Swick – 11/14/09 6. Paul Daley - Last fight: W vs. Dustin Hazelett – 01/02/10 7. Martin Kampmann - Last fight: W vs. Jacob Volkmann – 01/02/10 8. Mike Swick - Last fight: L vs. Paulo Thiago - 02/06/10 9. Carlos Condit - Last fight: W vs. Jake Ellenberger – 09/16/09 10. Ben Saunders - Last fight: W vs. Marcus Davis – 11/21/09
Movements: No movements at 170lbs in February as Paulo Thiago only affirmed his ranking with a victory over Mike Swick, who doesn’t move down largely as nobody else claimed an impressive win. Ben Saunders could move up if he can beat Jake Ellenberger impressively in March while GSP defends against #5 Dan Hardy and #1 Fitch and #2 Alves rematch too.
Lightweight (146lbs-155lbs): Champion: BJ Penn - Last fight: W vs. Diego Sanchez - 12/12/09
1. Kenny Florian - Last fight: W vs. Clay Guida - 12/12/09 2. Shinya Aoki - Last fight: W vs. Mizuto Hirota - 12/31/09 3. Gray Maynard - Last fight: W vs. Nathan Diaz - 01/11/10 4. Frankie Edgar - Last fight: W vs. Matt Veach – 12/05/09 5. Eddie Alvarez - Last fight: W vs. Katsunori Kikuno - 10/25/09 6. Tyson Griffin - Last fight: W vs. Hermes Franca – 09/19/09 7. Gilbert Melendez - Last fight: W vs. Josh Thomson – 12/19/09 8. Tatsuya Kawajiri - Last fight: W vs. Kazunori Yokota – 12/31/09 9. Benson Henderson - Last fight: W vs. Jamie Varner – 01/10/10 10. George Sotiropoulos - Last fight: W vs. Joe Stevenson – 02/20/10
Movements: Joe Stevenson’s loss to George Sotiropoulos moves him out of the top ten again, with Greek George making an unexpected appearance there instead. Sean Sherk also drops from the rankings as he hasn’t won since 10/08 and has no fights on the horizon, and so WEC champion Benson Henderson – whose wins are more impressive to me than those of Jim Miller and Mizotu Hirota – slides into the top ten too.
Featherweight (136lbs-145lbs): Champion: Jose Aldo - Last fight: W vs. Mike Brown – 11/18/09
1. Mike Brown - Last fight: W vs. Anthony Morrison – 01/10/10 2. Urijah Faber - Last fight: W vs. Raphael Assuncao – 01/10/10 3. Manvel Gamburyan - Last fight: W vs. Leonard Garcia – 11/18/09 4. Leonard Garcia - Last fight: L vs. Manvel Gamburyan – 11/18/09 5. Josh Grispi - Last fight: W vs. Jens Pulver – 06/07/09 6. Bibiano Fernandes - Last fight: W vs. Hiroyuki Takaya – 10/06/09 7. Raphael Assuncao - Last fight: L vs. Urijah Faber – 01/10/10 8. Deividas Taurosevicius - Last fight: W vs. Mackens Semerzier – 01/10/10 9. Mackens Semerzier - Last fight: L vs. Deividas Taurosevicius – 01/10/10 10. Marlon Sandro - Last fight: W vs. Yuji Hoshino – 11/07/09
Movements: With no WEC shows in February there were no movements at 145lbs.
Bantamweight (126lbs-135lbs): Champion: Brian Bowles - Last fight: W vs. Miguel Angel Torres – 08/09/09
1. Miguel Angel Torres - Last fight: L vs. Brian Bowles – 08/09/09 2. Dominick Cruz - Last fight: W vs. Joseph Benavidez – 08/09/09 3. Joseph Benavidez - Last fight: W vs. Rani Yahya – 12/19/09 4. Masakatsu Ueda - Last fight: W vs. Eduardo Dantas – 07/19/09 5. Damacio Page - Last fight: W vs. Will Campuzano – 10/10/09 6. Antonio Banuelos - Last fight: W vs. Kenji Osawa – 11/18/09 7. Scott Jorgensen - Last fight: W vs. Takeya Mizugaki – 12/19/09 8. Takeya Mizugaki - Last fight: L vs. Scott Jorgensen – 12/19/09 9. Rani Yahya - Last fight: L vs. Joseph Benavidez – 12/19/09 10. Wagnney Fabiano - Last fight: W vs. Clint Godfrey – 01/10/10
Movements: Like at 145lbs, with no WEC shows in February, nobody moves at 135lbs.